As the temperature drops and there's even a hint of snow in the forecast this week, we are fully embracing soup season!! This delicious, comforting Spinach White Bean Soup adapted from It’s My Side of Life is a frequent staple in our home during the winter months since it comes together in about 30 minutes and is made with ingredients we typically always have on hand.
- ¾ pound kielbasa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 tablespoons Healthy Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cannellini beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves (try kale or collards too!)
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Note: If using dry beans, soak over night. In the morning, rinse them, then continue to next step.
- Slice sausage link into medallions and brown in large pot with olive oil. Add garlic as sausage finishes searing. Do not drain.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add in oregano and beans and stir. Then, add tomatoes and heat until beans are tender. If using canned, it won't take long at all.
- Once beans are soft, add in greens just until wilted.
- Season with salt, and black or red pepper.
Notes: This soup is gluten free as long as you use a gluten-free broth and could easily be made vegan by leaving out the sausage and using veggie broth.