We’ve been told for years that fat is our enemy, but researchers of the ketogenic diet are proving otherwise.
After reading lots of sources, Authority Nutrition has the most thorough, yet simple explanation. Visit here for the full article or read the recap below.
What is the Ketogenic diet? It’s a low-carb, high-fat diet that over 20 studies have linked to weight loss and improved health. When mostly eliminating carbs, your body enters a state of ketosis, making you efficient at burning fat for energy. Plus, the high-fat diet keeps you full, making counting calories unnecessary.
“One study found that people on a ketogenic diet lost 2.2 times more weight than those on a calorie-restricted low-fat diet.”
This also drastically reduces blood sugar and insulin levels, a major problem currently plaguing our country. Even normal weight people are suffering from fatty liver disease and diabetes or prediabetes.
The low-carb, high-fat diet is also linked to a reduction in:
- Heart disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease symptoms
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Brain injuries
So what should you eat to gain these benefits?
- Meat (organic, not processed)
- Fatty fish
- Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Grass-fed Butter and cream
- Unprocessed Cheese
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Primarily extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oil.
- Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
- Condiments: You can use salt, pepper and various healthy herbs and spices.
Read the full article here: https://authoritynutrition.com/ketogenic-diet-101/