I don’t think I have had an opportunity yet to express my love for portobello mushrooms. As someone who eats meatless meals quite often, they are such a good meaty main course, from Portobellos Fajitas and Enchiladas to Fried Mushroom Steak Fries, and now these Caprese Stuffed Portobello Shrooms. It’s also a nice option for any gluten free friends or family.
Start off by gently cleaning your shroomies with a damp cloth and removing the tough stems. Then, brush both sides of the portobello caps with Roasted Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil and place top down on a baking sheet or roasting pan.
Next, layer in the fresh mozzarella and cherry tomatoes, and voila – you’re ready to pop these bad boys in the oven. Place in the middle rack of the oven set to broil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
After you remove the mushrooms from the oven, generously drizzle them with Balsamic Reduction and True Tuscan finishing oil, and add some fresh basil for those classic caprese flavors.
This could easily stand on its own as an entrée but would also make a great side dish. Serve with a glass of wine and you’ll be eating your way to happiness.
Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 1-2 tbsp Roasted Garlic Infused extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- fresh basil, thinly sliced for garnish
- Healthy Harvest Balsamic Reduction
- Healthy Harvest True Tuscan extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to broil; place rack in middle. Gently wipe the mushrooms down with a damp cloth to clean them and remove the tough stem. Brush both sides of each mushroom with the garlic oil and place them top side down on a baking sheet. Fill each mushroom with the mozzarella slices and tomatoes, and broil until cheese is melted and golden, about 10 minutes. To serve, top with the basil, drizzle with the Balsamic and True Tuscan and sprinkle with salt to taste.