One of my biggest passions in life is cooking healthy nutritious meals, but no matter how much I try to tame it, I still have a ferocious sweet tooth. So I am always trying to find ways to make desserts with a bit more substance. Like my Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (with sneaky chickpeas), Chocolate Chia Pudding (made from avocado, say what?!), and today I am super excited to share with you some super easy, super fudgy Vegan Brownies. I promise these are not just “good for weird vegan health food desserts.” They are actually “take them to a party and people won’t know they’re healthy” good.
Like most of my recipes, these brownies are made from simple ingredients you probably already have on hand and it takes no time at all to whip them up. They are vegan, gluten free, and have no refined sugar.
The main ingredient? Black beans. Yep. Blend those babies together with dates, cacao and coconut oil and you’ve got a supremely rich decadent dessert. Cacao is believed to be higher than antioxidants that any other food and coconut oil is fuel for your brain! So this recipe is not only great for people with food sensitivities, but it also is an easy snack to take hiking/climbing/camping since they’ve got protein, healthy fats, and quick energy from the dates. Serve with a glass of coconut milk and you will be swooning in chocolatey happiness.
- 2 cups dried, pitted dates
- 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp melted organic, unrefined coconut oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened cacao (cocoa powder is fine, but more processed)
- 1 tsp coffee or espresso
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup roughly chopped almonds (pistachios or walnuts would be great, too!)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- Melt 6 tbsp of coconut oil on low.
- Line a 9x9 or 8x11 baking dish with parchment paper overhanging on all four sides so you can remove brownies when finished. Lightly brush with coconut oil.
- Cover dates with boiling water and let soften for 5 minutes.
- Blend the black beans and 4 tbsp coconut oil in a food processor until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Drain the dates and add to the food processor with vanilla and salt. Mix until well incorporated. Add the cacao and coffee and blend until it resembles a thick chocolate batter. Pulse in the nuts.
- Scoop into prepared dish, using a spatula to press evenly. (Dip you spatula in coconut oil to prevent sticking!)
- Mix the ganache ingredients until smooth and pour over brownies. Use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Scatter the top with your choice of desired toppings such as sea salt, chopped nuts, raspberries or coconut. Let them firm up in fridge for 2-4 hours.