When I found this Vegan Olive and Artichoke Tart by Green Evi, I knew it would be the perfect special occasion spring dish for Easter. It looks elegant, is simple to throw together, and has easy to find ingredients.
The Mediterranean flavors of artichokes and olives combined with the nutty hummus-like vegan filling pair perfectly with the warm, flaky crust. You could make any type of tart or quiche crust you prefer, but I was lazy, so I used store bought puff pastry.
You start off by thawing the puff pastry and preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Then, mix together creamy cannelini beans, cashews, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper in a blender for the filling. Press your puff pastry into a pan of your choice and trim the excess. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the crust. Pour in half of the filling mixture. Next, layer the artichokes and olives. Top with the remaining filling and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
This recipe would make a great brunch for Easter celebrations or served for lunch alongside a salad of fresh greens. Post your pictures on Facebook or Instagram and tag @healthyharvests.
- ¾ cup of cashews, preferably soaked
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp savory (optional)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 can of artichoke hearts
- 15 pitted Healthy Harvest black olives
- 1 pack of puff pastry, make sure it's vegan
- Healthy Harvest olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Add cashews, beans, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, herbs, starch, salt, pepper and about ⅔ cup of water*** to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Press puff pastry into your baking forms. I used a large 9-inch dish, but you can use 2-4 smaller dishes instead. Prick pastry with a fork a few times.
- Spread half of the cashew-bean mixture over the bottom of the tart, then layer artichoke hearts and olives. Pour the rest of the mixture on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 400°F. Let stand for 5-10 minutes and drizzle with olive oil just before serving. Enjoy!